"But, are you Certified to ISO 9001?"
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) developed the ISO 9001 standard to help organisations establish and maintain a quality management system (QMS). The standard specifies the requirements for a QMS that an organisation must meet to be certified as ISO 9001 compliant. Over the years, the ISO 9001 certification has been recognised as a mark of quality and efficiency and is applicable to all B2B transactions. However, with the fast-paced technological advancements and changes in business practices, the question arises whether ISO 9001 certification is still relevant in 2023. This article will explore that question.
Understanding ISO 9001 Certification
ISO 9001 certification is a globally recognised standard for quality management systems. The standard outlines a set of requirements that an organisation must meet to demonstrate its ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer requirements and comply with applicable regulations. To achieve certification, an organisation must undergo an independent external audit by an accredited certification body that assesses the organisation’s QMS against the ISO 9001 standard's requirements.
The Benefits of ISO 9001 Certification
There are several benefits of ISO 9001 certification for an organisation. Firstly, it can improve the organisation’s credibility and reputation by demonstrating its commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. Secondly, ISO 9001 certification can increase customer confidence in the organisation’s ability to provide high-quality products and services consistently. Thirdly, the standard can help an organisation identify and address inefficiencies in its processes, leading to increased productivity and reduced costs. Lastly, ISO 9001 certification can help an organisation to comply with regulatory requirements and avoid legal issues.
How popular is ISO 9001?
Third-party certification bodies confirm that organisations meet the requirements of ISO 9001. In 2021 (the latest year for which ISO has published figures), over one million organisations worldwide, covering 1.5 million sites, were independently certified to ISO 9001, making it by far the most widely used management system standard in the world today.
The Relevance of ISO 9001 Certification in 2023
The relevance of ISO 9001 certification has repeatedly been questioned over the years. And yet it persists. Some may argue that the standard needs to be updated and more relevant in the current business environment. However, despite the changes in business practices and technology, the core principles of the ISO 9001 standard remain relevant and essential in some situations (such as tendering for government contracts). Consider…
- Customer Satisfaction: The standard focuses on customer satisfaction, arguably every organisation’s top priority. With technological advancements, customer expectations and demands have increased, and organisations must continually improve their processes to meet these demands. The ISO 9001 standard's emphasis on customer satisfaction provides a framework for organisations to continually improve their processes and meet customer needs.
- Management Leadership: ISO 9001 emphasises the importance of leadership and management commitment to quality. This principle is still relevant in 2023, as effective leadership and management are crucial to an organisation’s success. A solid commitment to quality from the organisation’s leadership can help create a continuous improvement culture and increase employee engagement.
- Process Improvement: The ISO 9001 standard focuses on process improvement and effectiveness, which are still essential in 2023. Organisations must continually improve their processes to remain competitive and meet customer demands. The ISO 9001 standard's emphasis on process improvement provides a framework for organisations to identify and address inefficiencies in their processes, leading to increased productivity and reduced costs.
- Data-driven Decision-making: The standard emphasises the importance of data-driven decision-making. In 2023, with technological advancements, organisations have access to vast amounts of data. The ISO 9001 standard's emphasis on data-driven decision-making provides a framework for organisations to use data effectively to improve their processes and make informed decisions.
- Managing Risk: ISO 9001 emphasises the importance of risk management. In 2023, with the increasing complexity of business operations, risk management is more critical than ever. The ISO 9001 standard's emphasis on risk management provides a framework for organisations to identify and manage risks effectively.
So, the real question is not whether ISO 9001 continues to be relevant but rather can your organisation be considered relevant to customers and potential customers without it.
- How to Get ISO 9001 Certification: A 33-Step Guide
- Free ISO 9001 Implementation Handbook (100+ pages)
- ISO Internal Auditor Training - 5 Reasons Why it's a 'Must'
deGRANDSON Global is an ISO Certified Educational Organization
In October 2021 we secured certification to three education-related ISO Standards. We now have a university-grade management system in place conforming to the requirements of …
We have chosen ISO 21001 certification because, unlike IRCA and Exemplar badges (which in our opinion are commercially compromised), it is based on independent third-party assessment. It is a ‘university grade’ standard in use globally by schools, colleges, and universities to demonstrate their competence.