The reality behind the myths about e-Learning
There's much interest in e-learning these days; but, does it work? What should you expect from a well-designed, well-developed, and well-delivered e-Learning Course?
e-Learning had a bad reputation -- and it was mostly justified. Let's take some recent headline offerings ...
Table of Contents
- 'Live online training' and 'The Virtual Classroom'
- 'On Demand Lectures'
- e-Learning is different
- What to Expect from a modern e-Learning Course
- deGRANDSON Global's e-Learning System Features and their Benefits
- Self-paced learning
- Use in Training Room environment
- Certification (individuals)
- Certification (employers)
- Certification (Certification Bodies)
- Web-based Product – platform-independent
- Scalable Certification
- Extension Courses
- Re-Certification Courses
- The Scenarios
- No software installation needed
- Courses published in both SWF and HTML formats
- 30 plus Lessons per Course
- Pay through PayPal
- Experiential learning
- Multi-layered approach
- Plenty of practical exercises
- Connected to Facebook and LinkedIn
- Courses delivered through established LMS service
- e-Learning is now mature
- Delivery at a time and place of your choosing
- No examination charges
- No examination deadlines
'Live online training' and 'The Virtual Classroom'
Here we have a standard lecture where a camera is turned on with live streaming. No opportunity to ask questions or opportunity to review. Very dull with no learner engagement. We don't consider this to be e-learning.
'On Demand Lectures'
The same as Live Online Training' except that this time they recorded it. The lack of variety in content can be very boring. Again, no learner engagement. We don't consider this to be e-learning either.
e-Learning is different
Today’s online e-learning courses are usually a match for, and in some ways even superior to, conventional training. One of the main reasons for this is because they are capable of consistently delivering high-quality lessons without being dependent on a presenter or tutor. Advances in technology have allowed e-learning to grow by leaps and bounds. In this article, we will examine e-learning features, which we hope will enable you to identify 'the genuine article' when it comes to online training.
What to Expect from a modern e-Learning Course
Before proceeding to our list of reasons why our e-learning system works, we need to state some important assumptions that are true for all of our online ISO Auditor Training Courses.
These are that ...
- e-Learning courses are well designed, developed and delivered having regard to the needs of adult learners.
- Courses are designed for delivery over a wide variety of operating systems and computing devices.
- Courses are delivered via a modern learning management system (LMS) keeping detailed records of the learners’ progress and results, and also capable of delivering instruction over a wide variety of operating systems and computing devices.
deGRANDSON Global's e-Learning System Features and their Benefits
Benefits to Students
|3||Use in Training Room environment|
|6||Certification (Certification Bodies)||
|7||Web-based Product – platform-independent||
|12||No software installation needed||
Benefits to Students
|13||Courses published in both SWF and HTML formats||
Say, you start a Lesson on your PC at work. You can continue the Lesson, from where you stopped, on a tablet device on the bus or train home and then finish it on your Notebook after dinner.
Much of that flexibility would be lost, especially for older devices, if we published in html5 alone.
|14||30 plus Lessons per Course||
|15||Pay through PayPal||
|18||Plenty of practical exercises||
|19||Connected to Facebook and LinkedIn||
|20||Courses delivered through established LMS service||
|21||e-Learning is now mature||
|22||Delivery at a time and place of your choosing|
|23||No examination charges||
|24||No examination deadlines||
Note 2: First published in September 2018; revised and updated in August 2021
- 15 Myths About e-Learning - the reality behind them will surprise you
- [Video] e-Learning Problems and how they are Solved
- 6 Problems Solved by Online ISO Internal Auditor Training
- How deGRANDSON'S Learning Management System works
- Online ISO Auditor Training with deGRANDSON: A 4-tier Method
deGRANDSON Global is an ISO Certified Educational Organization
We have chosen ISO 21001 certification because, unlike IRCA and Exemplar badges (which in our opinion are commercially compromised), it is based on independent third-party assessment. It is a ‘university grade’ standard in use globally by schools, colleges, and universities to demonstrate their competence.